Monday, 21 July 2014

Fat Summer Strawberries


Hello.

Let's pop on the kettle, flop on the grass and just wait for it to sing, shall we?

Well, what do you know - and I say this with only a smidgen of staggered surprise - British Summer 2014 has really been quite lovely ... so far!  Hasn't it?

*she says crossing her fingers and swiftly rapping her knuckles against something lucky*

That is not to say, of course, that we have not had our rainy spells.  Or those anxious stretches of days, which make folk begin to despair a little and think despondently that perhaps 'that week in April' really was all we were down for.  Better luck next time, hey?  
But then out the sun would pop again, shining its pretty rays down on this little temperate isle.
And this combination of 'good ole' British rain plus some fabulous sunshine, has not only made our hearts feel light, but it has also had the joyful affect of making our gardens and allotments bloom.  
From scrubby bedraggled patches to Peter Rabbit places, where perhaps pumpkins wind their fairy-tale, Cinderella tendrils through the grass or wigwams of peas invite a spot of impromptu podding and popping into eager mouths.
But the cream of the Summer crop, for me, has to be the Strawberry.  Glossy red, gleaming and totally jewel-like, in their protective beds of hay.
Cheekily, I would even dare to say, were you to grow nothing more than a little patch of these at the bottom of your garden or in a hanging basket over your back door or even in a window box, that moments of wholehearted H.a.P.p.Y-ness would be yours, come long Summer days.
Bringing home perhaps the last of the allotments fruity bounty I ponder on 'tasty somethings'.

...
Sliced over my breakfast cereal perhaps? Or as the children do with a dollop of buttercup yellow Cornish ice cream?  Will I make a pot of Summer-in-a-Kilner-Jar-Jam? Or super quick Strawberry Banana Ice Cream (just give me a nudge and I'll share ... hashtag generousme!).  Then there's Homemade Fruit Roll Ups!  Or maybe I should freeze them, only to bring them out on a misty November morn to plop into bowls of thick, cream swirled porridge and so keep little tummies warm and little hearts happy?

No I think, today is Friday.  It is the Weekend Eve!  
And so I make Prosecco Soaked Strawberries.  

And if that were not wickedly perfect enough, I covered them in chocolate too! 

...

Prosecco Soaked Strawberries

250g of fat strawberries or 1 Punnet
Bottle of Prosecco or Champagne
200g Bar of Dark Chocolate
A Splash of Double Cream 

1. Wash the strawberries, leaving their greens attached, before finding yourself a good large Kilner Jar.  Drop in each ruby berry, before gleefully popping open the bottle of fizz.  
...
Its worth saying, your choice of bubbles is, of course, entirely dependent on how happy your piggy bank is feeling and I did even get to pondering whether a lovely Elderflower Presse would do the job beautifully, while having the added option of being alcohol free?  Let me know?

3. Listening out for its happy, effervescent whish, pour in the Prosecco and then screw on the lid.  Proudly sit in your fridge for 24 hours.

4. Taking the strawberries out of the jar and patting dry, it is 'Chefs' prerogative to tip the remaining strawberry infused Prosecco into a glass and enjoy. 

5. Melt the chocolate - dark for me, milk for my friend - in a heat proof bowl over a pan of hot water before carefully swirling in the table spoon of cream.

6. Using the green tops swoop your bubbly happy strawberries in the chocolate and smugly place on a sheet of parchment or wax paper.   

7. Let them set in the fridge for about an hour.

8. Bring out to rapturous interest and offers of undying friendship from all.

Love MrsBx


4 comments:

Toffeeapple said...

If only I could like strawberries! I have tried, really I have but I just can't like the things. I hope you enjoyed yours though!

Peas & Carrots said...

Nice to see you back. I love your pink kettle!
I hope you don't mind but I have mentioned you in my new post!

ricky albert danganan said...

Hello there,
Great foods!! Thank you so much for sharing these, we are truly inspired!!! We would like to add your blog to the Top Food Blog list in www.mytaste.com/ with over 6 million users worldwide... Your blog is impressively BEAUTIFUL and deserves to be included on the Top list!!
We will feature your blog and create shout outs about your recipes to our fan pages.
MyTaste is a social platform for foodies and blogs/sites owners like you and it helps to reach more people, get more visibility from the web and share/save foods and recipes. Some of them receive at least 10,000 visits from us on a weekly basis.
If you’d like to be featured, expand your readership and JOIN TOP FOOD BLOGS, here's the link where you can add your blog to the list>> http://www.mytaste.com/top-food-blogs (Joining won't cost you any cents)
Kind regards
-Ricky

Syad Abdur Razzaq Ali said...

Hello, I think this is a grate site. I am searching by beautiful places in the world. I find this blog. It is really grate site. I like this site very much. I am seraching more beautiful place details for traveling.If you know more about beautiful place please inform me. of caouse I will visit that site. Thanks everybody.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...