Tuesday, 10 April 2012

Take Notice

Nothing Quite Like It...

Fresh bed linen makes me want to just hop right back into bed!

I open the windows and let the icy, sunshiney air breeze in and hurl the previous linen into a pile...

(I relish that bit too!  Pointedly disgarding, starting afresh, no neatness!)

One cool, clean sheet, billowed out and tucked in tight, tight, tight.  Over the top goes a second.  Partly nostalgia, remembering the feeling of slipping between taut, clean sheets, under a heavy feather duvet and a hot water bottle, that was my sleeptime joy and a prevailing memory of my holidays at Nana's.  Partly decorative whim...a white duvet set is losing its hold on me as my years advance.

(I worry.  I could be in very grave Chintz terrority?)

It's a little thing.

But as many of us have read or indeed know in our hearts

It is the little things that make us happy.

I am fascinated by the concept of happiness, how it is achieved by some and not others, is it a skill or an attitude, is it meditation or money, is it success or slowness?

And isn't it always pleasant to know you are not alone.  It would seem that Happiness is something of a new Science!  Clever bods are studying, researching and pondering it, politicians are trying to quantify, target and utilise it, schools and communities and perhaps your next door neighbour are trying to get together to spread it.

Perhaps it seems to some to be a bit hemp stroke granola-y but can it really be such a terrible thing for time and energy to be placed studying and understanding the fundamental root cause of every human's endeavours.  We all want to be happy.  We all want our children to be happy.  We want the world to be happy.

Its a pretty concept but this doesn't have to equate to it being a shallow or vacuous one.

Have a peep.  Take notice of the little things around you.

 “Be Content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you.” – Lao Tzu






2 comments:

Catherine said...

So true!! Happiness is always best when shared!

This post makes me want to squirrel away upstaires right into my bed, hehe :-)

Angel Jem said...

How vital is it to be content!?? If only we could cultivate contentment. You have a quote from Taoism there, but most spiritualities teach the purpose of happiness in little things. I must try harder, the incessant call of the world is 'more,more, more'!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...