Friday, 10 February 2012

Beetroot, Onion and Cheddar Pizza




It's wonderful!! A taste revelation! It all works...a harmonious slice of earthy richness! Recipe from the lovely Veg by Hugh F.W.

Fancy a slice??

Pizza Dough (makes enough for three bases...it can also be turned into dough balls, bread sticks, flat breads etc etc etc)

250g plain flour
250g strong bread flour
1tsp dried active yeast
1.25 tsp salt
320ml warm water
1tblsp olive oil

Dump the dry ingredients in a large bowl.

Combine water and oil and mix in. I use a palettes knife initially so as not to be too messy...though my daughter would argue there is no such thing!

Tip out on a very lightly floured surface. This is a wet dough, which is fab for your bread, but it requires a degree of bravery to not start chucking flour, anxiously at it. Knead and slowly slowly, I promise, it will begin to spring back and collect any sticky bits on your work surface. This takes about five to ten minutes.

Place dough in clean, oiled bowl. Place a fresh tea towel over the top and put somewhere warm to do its thang!

After an hour or so it will have doubled inside. Give it a swift blow with your fist..,I have heard there is no purpose to punching back (as I tell the kids allllll the time) but it is totally satisfying!

Preheat oven 180 degrees

Divide into thirds and roll out. It's helpful if you do this on a plastic tray of some kind. Then you can dust it with cornmeal for a nice crunchy base and it will slide off onto the baking tray/ stone in your oven without losing your hard earned pizza round (read: amoeba!)

Dollop of tomato sauce (see my age seemingly age old previous post on what I feel should be the very definition of pizza sauce!) cover with thin slices of onion, top with slices of cooked (not vinegared) beet root and generously blanket with mozzarella and good tangy cheddar!

Wack it in the oven. Cook for ten to fifteen minutes till golden on top!

Bliss!


8 comments:

LissyLou said...

yum, my kind of pizza!

My fave pizza ever is at a local restaurant to us - beetroot, goat cheese and caramalised onion - yum xx

Saphy said...

sounds great. I have never had a beetroot pizza, I may just try it.

YarnRoundHook said...

I'm not sure about the beetroot - I find it tastes of soil... Or, well, how I imagine soil to taste!

Toffeeapple said...

Beetroot is heavenly, cooked or raw but not usually pickled.

A Thrifty Mrs said...

B lady, I am trying this.

Mrs B said...

Heehee!! I knew there would be mixed reactions! You know it's the beets soil-ness I like! It's so wholesome!

Thrifty lady...I hope you are feeling better? Come and have a slice of soda bread, smothered in butter and honey and a cup of tea!

Menopausalmusing said...

I'm with you on loving the earthiness of beetroot. This sounds like a fabulous combination!

LPFish said...

....what do you do with the other 2/3 dough? can you freeze it??

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...