Monday, 16 May 2011

Isn't it beautiful?  A peony from the front garden.  It has just gone on and on, everyday more joyous.  Even as it drops its petals, it looks newly wonderful.  The perfect still life.
Just how pretty is this?

Stocks x Utterly wonderful.  Best when fat and squashy and heavy with their clove-y scent.  It makes me smile thinking of my florist days, when we would bury our heads in the newly delivered boxes full of stocks.  Breathing in deeply and sighing, before insisting the others did to...'go on, smell it'.  Giddy with the scent and knowledge that summer days were not far off.

The above is just one of the many glorious coloured plates from my 1971 'thrifted' Blandford Press 'Garden Annuals and Bulbs' from the local charity shop.  Such a prosaic title for a simply magical book.  Imagine my joy on first discovering the floral treasure hidden beneath its unpromising 70's dust jacket.  I could sit for hours, gazing at this book and dreaming of a hazy, sometime, future.  My 'Flower Farm'....dreams x
We get flowers from all over the world, now.  The supermarkets able to sell them to us at a snip, but as with food, perhaps we aren't richer for all our abundance.  I am an old fashioned girl in so many ways, unsurprisingly this stretches to my choice of flowers too.  I love the seasonality of flowers, the scent, the seasonal ties, the simple honesty of home grown UK garden flowers.  A posy of lavender, scented garden roses, sprigs of mint and rosemary, filling jam jars tied with string bows...So good, so real, so homemade in all the best ways.

I try, where ever possible, to buy British grown flowers, buying with the seasons.  Flowers grown here have not been refrigerated for an age and shipped hundreds of miles.  They are better scented and have a longer vase life.  I am over the moon when my own garden springs to life.  The house is never without fresh flowers in the those months.    
Give yourself permission, don't wait for anyone else, go buy yourself a little bunch of flowers, cut some from the garden.  Fill jam jars and tealight holders.  Mark your daily path out with them.  It will make you smile.

x

7 comments:

PaperFish! said...

or go hi-tech and send each other flowers via our i-phones? ala this morn? x

Mrs B said...

heehee! flowers in any form are utterly lovely! It made me smile!

x

Miss Holly said...

What a delightful post!! They are such miracles ...the finest art...I have a few tiny little vases and I love to pick a few single flowers and arrange them in the little vases...one forget me not , one little jonny jump up...so sweet

Menopausal musing said...

I am always secretly pleased when it gets windy at this time of year and I can bring paeonies in.... ours are pale and so WONDERFULLY scented......

LissyLou said...

i love peonies!!! i want some peonies!!!

Marigio said...

Love your flowers, but...my eyes keep falling on sellotape tin...I decided that I must have one, so I'm on magic ebay seaching...
Ciao from Italy
Marigio xo.

Fancy Vintage said...

love love love your photographs of your flowers.
I brought the most beautiful bunch of pink peonies from the local W.I. and they have lasted ages!
Thanks for your lovely comments too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...