Tuesday, 22 March 2011

The Friendly Cookie

Nothing fancy.  Nothing colourful or surprising; exotic, clever or smug.  A simple chocolate chip cookie.

I did ponder the many varieties that perhaps maybe made in the time I had.  Perhaps peanuts...no so many folk hate peanutty things.  Perhaps dried cranberries and white chocolate...oh no, no white chocolate and Miss B is not fond of the little red berry.  Perhaps nutella cookies by this lovely lady....oh and it came close!  But then the cookie baking would have been purely for me (I can, and will eat Nutella with a spoon)....and no one likes a greedy hostess.

So plain, good quality chocolate chip cookies it was, with a little sprinkly of sea salt ...

(click for link to Mr Hugh F.W's gorgeous Ten Minute Cookie Recipe....fabby to make with wee ones and a very economical ingredients versus cookie number output ratio!)

Such a friendly thing - the homemade cookie.  No nonsense; no embarrassing frosting moustache (a la the cupcake dilemma...eat with a cake fork or dive face first in, with no shame??); no 'will I, won't I like this' sense of the unfamiliar; simple and honest, quietly perfect.

Being handed a jar of homemade cookies to dunk your hand into, while balancing a cup of something, made just for you, on someone's squashy couch, cannot fail to bring about a sigh, a smile and a good natter.

Give thanks for uplifting, kind, generous friendship and the humble, but always chummy, cookie x

10 comments:

A Thrifty Mrs said...

I love nothing more than homemade cookies. They are so simple to make and yet I'd rather them than a bunch of flowers or expensive chocs. Perhaps I have simple tastes or perhaps I just love investment in friendship?

Chocolate and sea salt is one of the best combinations as far as can tell. Sweet AND salty playing for your affections in one bite? Excellent.

So pleased to see you back in full force in 'blogland.'

Kitty said...

You can't beat a chocolate chip cookie.
I spent yesterday afternoon baking chocolate cookies with my one year.... old only we got slightly carried away with the baking and now have a freezer full of cookies and cake and not much else !!
Love the teapot - i also have the same one but feel it is slightly wasted as no one in our house drinks tea - it was one of those great charity shop finds, 50p !!!

::cupcakesandbiscuits:: said...

Hey cookie, come over the border and be friendly to me, I will bite but in an equally friendly way!

Craving nutella sandwiched between digestives now...
xx

PaperFish! said...

starving, as always.... feed me....

charl said...

love home made cookies.. when i was pregnant one night i had such a craving for them i sent the hubby to an all night shop to buy ingredients so i could make them!!..
i havnt made any for ages .. there is a packet of them in a tin which now i fear may be opened and destroyed!!!
charl
x

Devonia said...

i just baked some oatmeal raisin cookie with the little monster this morning, the kitchen now looks like a cookie bomb went off in her! ah well, he's going for a nap and im attempting to restore her to her pre-cookie disater! i love the mini chocolate chip cookie, i always make mine small too. and the oatmeal raisin ones giant!! blog is looking gorgeous y the way! xx

Saphy said...

there are so many lovely things to eat but home made cookies can't be beat!

Mrs B said...

I know you all to be a friendly friendly bunch! Male your way over for cookies and a drink!

Devonia!! I miss you x

Thrifty I knew you knew x

Fish shall I send a foodie parcel!!?

X

Rhiannon said...

There is something so very comforting about being presented with homemade biscuits when you go to someone's house, always a sign of good things to come!

Peonies and Pennies said...

Lovely homemade cookies, something that we all deserve.

Love the teapot, very similar to one I inherited...now where did I put it when I moved in!

~c~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...