Thursday, 4 November 2010

Red

The one red leaf, the last of its clan,
That dances as often as dance it can,
Hanging so light, and hanging so high,
On the topmost twig that looks up at the sky.” Samuel Coleridge
 In my sixth form days, (think theatre studies, a penchant for tartan and lost love...not much changed then?) I used to say, in a rather theatrical fashion, I was having a green day or a red day.

Now as drama la la as that may sound, at its roots it was true.  I have always been drawn to these two colours.  They influence how I feel or are an outlet, an expression of how I am feeling.

It is fascinating, their interchangeability by our eye, that if you stare long enough at a red dot, when you close your eyes you see a green one and visa versa.
Well I seem to have unintentionally hit on this again today.  I woke up, grabbed my patent red bow belt (Primark £2....I tell not a lie!) and that is where it all started.  This my story of red.
I walked to school with Master B, thinking I felt so right in my red belt, red cardi and red beret.  Then I noticed that everyone on route smiled at me,

'Good lord, how cheery everyone is this morning' I thought happily to myself.

Red catches the eye, it makes you visible and, you know, if you are of an energetic frame of mind that morning and not recovering from one too many glasses of wine the night before (as I was not) then it is a wonderful thing.  I had so many lovely natters this morning.

Home again, home again, jiggedy jig.
 Once in the door, I feel warm, jolly, full.  Open the cupboards in pursuit of toast.  Look, look, look...
All my Christmas plates and candle sticks, a box of Panetone.  I can't help myself.  With another shot of red, I am feeling all Christmassy and a little excitable!
It is such a warm, enveloping colour making me think of hearths and housey glows.  As much as I adore looking at the pristine elegance of minimal houses, all glass and heavenly pure white cotton, I know I could never be happy.  How can you cuddle up to white?

I like a little Scandic influence in my home, perhaps from the years I spent living in Norway as a young teenager. 
 
And I think the Norsemen know a thing or two about the transforming powers of 'red' when the sun disappears and all about you lies bare and grey.  
Just that spark of eye catching colour makes all around seem more.  It lifts white, makes aqua seem rich and warms yellow.
My life is full of this evocative colour....Nigella would understand.  

x





10 comments:

A Thrifty Mrs said...

When I think of you I think of red. True fact, innit.

clarabelle said...

Lovely post... I don't consider myself a particularly RED person EXCEPT for this time of year! I have just got my RED candle holders out to go on my mantelpiece! I might have to go in pursuit of MORE red!
Happy Redness
Clare xx

PaperFish! said...

red. for sure. although you have converted me to the occasional gentle blue - and i have never been at all blue before.

maggie said...

hi my red child what a lovely blog............love u happy elf xxxxxxxxxx

Menopausal musing said...

Consider this post read (boom! boom!). Lovely to see you knocking about still. Great post Mrs B.

::cupcakesandbiscuits:: said...

You were made for Christmas!
xx

Mrs B said...

Arrrrrrr how true!! Maybe that's what's brought me out of hiding? Christmas is nigh!! X

meplusmolly said...

I think of you more as a wee pixie! sprinkling sparkle and magic when the will takes you (especially at this time of year for us grinchy types!) :)xx

Taz said...

Red rocks :D

Mother Hen, Funky Yoga Chicken said...

Toni dear. Lovely pre-christmassy post. You have given me the urge to get out all my red Christmas decorations already and at the least get snappy and start making Nigella's Cranberry jam, the easiest jam recipe ever (and the most christmassy)!

I am always happy to see Norway get a mention (we are still waiting for your visit!!!). Must keep my eyes open and send you more red Norwegian stuff!

xxx Lou

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...