Thursday, 26 August 2010

Tweed, Leather, School Supplies and Frozen Fruit

"Harvest is finished and summer has gone"

But, you know, I am just fine with that.  Here in the rainy North, we said our goodbyes to summer many moons ago.  If truth be known, in June, really.

And so I am quite content now to don my boots.  Immeasurably more comfortable than flipflops!
I am yearning to buy school supplies.  Shopping lists for 'bouquets of freshly sharpened pencils', notepads and first blue, little sweatshirts and grey trousers.  Lunch box, book bags and name tags.
I am eyeballing dresses in wool, tartan and tweed.  Creating birthday wish lists of soft, soft knitwear in muted dove greys, misty blues and heather mauve.  Bliss.

And I am filling my freezer with boxes of frozen summer berries.  

I have said it before, but I shall say it again, there is something comforting, secure, soothing with a hint of gentle smugness, in bringing in a glut and storing it away.  
Freezing berries, making jam, clear fragrant Elderflower cordials,
dousing and bottling blackcurrants in Vodka for that homemade Christmas Kir Royal.  

Perhaps this is why I am calmly accepting, welcoming of a change of season.  I feel I have bottled quite simply the best bits of an English summer.
I will still smell flowery hedgerows, with a splash of cordial added to an evening drink.  
I will add a a swirl of deepest purple, a bite of berry lusciousness to my autumn porrigdy breakfast.  I will make piece and jam for my small folk, with a jar of sunsoaked sweetness.
“Nature gives to every time and season some beauties of its own; and from morning to night..."


Charles Dickens 

5 comments:

::cupcakesandbiscuits:: said...

Mrs B I wish I felt the same...I am having trouble accepting that summer is over when it never really felt like it began.
I also hate wearing footwear, of any sort, so when I can sense the chill in my bare feet it saddens me!
Yet, time will change all that and I'll get used to it then enjoy what Autumn had to bring.
x

LissyLou said...

'bouquets of freshly sharpened pencils'!! from my favourite film ;)

i would love to recieve a bouquet of pencils xx

Menopausal musing said...

Stylish as ever Mrs B..... what a beautiful new look to your blog! A great post and I am sitting wondering what elderflower champagne tastes like. Elderflower cordial was made here last year and we were going to make the champagne, but never quite got round to it. Do you recommend it? Thanks for the "Enid Blyton" comment on my blog.... it made me laugh out loud!

PaperFish! said...

you..... quite honestly, you make me want to be a better blogger, a better mother, a better friend, a better person. You totally inspire people - it is a gift Mrs.

Mollimoo said...

Beautiful new outfit for your blog! Love your boots aswell...I can never find any that I have in mind & they really fit the bill! Gorgeous,scrumptious homemakes too x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...