Monday, 19 April 2010

Vintage Saturdays

On a Saturday morning the B household go swimming together. We love it. We all get excited about a light breakfast, jumping on the bus, swim suits, arm bands and after swim snacks all loaded into our giant tote bag.

Then if MrB and I are flush, we all have a second breakfast together, in a place just down the road, that is almost entirely made of glass. This has the effect of making you feel you are sitting in a great big green house. All those little chills you may have still lurking from these spring swims, seep away, to be replaced by a soft sunshiney warmth, coffee aromas and scrambled eggs.

Then MrsB, gets to run away for a few hours.
Every week I just relish this time. It lets me see friends without small fry, or just be alone, silent and just for that pocket of time not the human personification of wikipedia. I get to just be me. There are plenty of people who think my behaviour is disgustingly selfish. But I am ok with that! I know that if I didn't have this comparatively small amount of time, just to be ME, I would slowly become ground down to a snipey, shattered, over stretched, irritated, on a knife edge version of myself. I could not be the mummy I want to be, need to be, not the friend or wife that I want and need to be, if I didn't step out, for a few hours.

I mooch along, walking the mile into the centre of town, stopping to read the second hand books, outside the Student Union.Some Saturdays I am really lucky and there is a Vintage Fair on, in the Union.It was a great one this week. Absolutely packed with a variety of Vintage not just a load of Eighties stripey Nylon dresses (which while lovely have a certain groan factor when you have looked through a whole rail of them). There was homewares and cupcakes, diamante brooches and 50's sun dresses.So I mooched about for two and half hours, had a coffee, with no need for talk...and home again, home again jiggedy jig!

We all need to take care of ourselves too...

x

10 comments:

Vintage from the Village said...

Good for you, I know that feeing !
Enjoy it
Sue x

A Thrifty Mrs said...

Hurrah for vintage weekends!


I couldn't survive without ME time. I need it to renew myself and revive energy so I can go back to life as a wife, friend, boss, put upon member of society without taking a pop at members of the public on a commuter train.

Mrs Yappy Dog said...

What a lovely way to spend Saturday and completely justifiable as everyone gets to enjoy something they like. I am lucky enough to do that stuff during the school hours but I know how badly you need that Me time when you have small people. Hope you enjoy many more 'me time saturdays'.

VintageVicki said...

That looks like my sort of ME time - a book shop and a vintage fair :)

As much as I love my family, I do need time away from them.

TheMadHouse said...

I have just come home to find a package - woohoo thank you.

On the me time, Sat Am is mine, MadDad takes the mini's to football practice & football tots, we meet up at lunchtime

PaperFish! said...

i need a ME life!
whatdidyabuy, whatdidyabuy, whatdidyabuy, whatdidyabuy..... xxx

niftyknits said...

your photos are so sharp and you TOTALLY deserve your me time!

Taz said...

Sounds divine sweetie and those around you that try to make you feel bad are probably jealous that they don't get any 'me' time.
I know I would have been grateful for it if the ex had ever done it for me. So I had to devise a plan to give it to myself ;)

winnibriggs said...

Just what every girl needs now and again, and why not!!

Victoria said...

Whoever has told you that a morning to yourself is selfish behaviour is either childfree or insane. I have been known to *gasp* go away for a whole weekend (well once in the last 2 years, but, you know)!
It's called self-preservation, isn't it?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...