Friday, 23 April 2010

Tender Green....

Everything is unfurling green. New leaves, shoots, little gems, my herb pot, defying the usual and expected slug demolishing (has anyone else noticed a marked absence of these hideous creatures?)I read something, years ago,it is resurfacing, I can feel it lurking in the back of my head...

An author had beautifully summed up, pinned down in words, the sheer brilliance, the startling vibrance of fresh Spring green. I wish I would remember it and pull it up from the dark recess it is hiding in. Every day this week as I have walked along our street, I have felt it there, teasing me...

But you know, you know don't you!

It seems so very late coming this year, unfurling of buds, trees dressed once more....I am waiting, waiting for the shhhhhhshing, leaves in the breeze. That sound alone transports me to summer months, holidays, gentle days.

For three years my family lived in Norway and I remember how stunned we all were as we arrived home to a Britain, in full green. We were completely mesmerized. Its not until you have been away and had your eyes accustomed to mountains, rock, deep blue fjords that you realise how truly this is a 'green and pleasant land'.

Green how I want you green. Green wind. Green branches.
Federico Garcia Lorca

x

9 comments:

TheMadHouse said...

Wow your lettuce look great, I must crack on this weekend and get going with it all

A Thrifty Mrs said...

It does all seem late this year doesn't it, but I think this is the 'natural expected' time for things to happen. The last decade or so has been a bit fast.

Your greens are coming on well. We only have a little spinach poking through. No other signs of life chez Thrifty.

Victoria said...

It was the same when I was in Australia - I really missed the green. I used to go into bookshops to look for books about Britain and feast my eyes on the pictures of green fields.

Menopausal musing said...

I arrived back in Blighty to Brize Norton having lived in Cyprus from February to late August, and it did indeed seem a green and pleasant land......... It made me appreciate what we have and I have never forgotten it. We have a green in this country that takes some rivalling, don't we?

Mrs B said...

Me too, cathy!!

I lived there for 3 years!!

I'll never forget landing there and noticing the sandy landscape, even at six....maybe because I was six! Like another world!

I loved cyprus!!

X

winnibriggs said...

Its noticing these little things that really makes you appreciate our seasons. I do love this time of year best, especially all the new growth.

Menopausal musing said...

I would have LOVED Cyprus. Was SUPPOSED to be there for 3 years but the war broke out..... pah!

Mrs B said...

....ughhhhh! War!!

Mother0fPurl said...

Hello, I stopped buy to admire your lettuce! I had also thought that there was a weird lack of slugs this year, but just today (I suppose with the rain) there seem to be millions aorund- what a shame! I have scattered some organic slug pellets around and am hoping for the best!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...