Tuesday, 23 February 2010

Perfect


The word is to me almost onomatopoeic.  It sounds soft, feline, gently smug, perrrrrrrfect.  I am wary of it, of course, as anyone sensible is of all things feline!  However, against all well established advice, from all corners of the civilised world, I am drawn in by the idea of perfection.  I know that way only madness lies, but I can't help looking for it, persuing it, yearning for it....

Luckily, I occasionally manage to satisfy my need for perfection and thankfully not through the much battled for toddler gunk free floor or a (very) temporarily speck free carpet, not the "right" jeans or a magazine perfect visage(!!),  but through something much more lasting, gratifying and attainable!

Every so often I see something that is so complete...so right, that it leaves me with the feeling that all is well with my world. 

My simply perrrrrrrrrfect flour shaker was a vintage find from my sister, for Christmas.  I adore it....everything about it is just perfect!  The stripes, the chunky utility, the slight rounded curve to the end of the handle giving it a hint of pretty!  And it has a cork stopper in its base....see?  Perfect! 
My salt cellar.  An ebay find!  How do I love it....shall I count the ways?  The perfect salt cellar!  Its singularity is everything!  If it had a matching peppery buddy, I wouldn't love it as much!  It stands proud, unique, individual! (ooooh the little hearts and edge of red!)
 
I have always had a low level aversion to the "matching".   My poor mother is at a loss.  Give me one pretty, vintage, singular saucer, you would find me more the merrier.  Matching, identical....uniform? 

Perfect: Lacking nothing essential to the whole; complete of its nature or kind.

x

15 comments:

Heather said...

what a lovely post. i adore your flour shaker

Jumbleberry Orchard said...

I love this post, and your flour shaker in its perfect form!

My Mum and I also have an aversion to the matching - nothing is symmetrical in her house, pictures hang as if they were all hung simultaneously by many different people of different heights.

We must continue to celebrate such perfections!

VintageVicki said...

I don't like too much matching either. I love your flour shaker - I've been after something similar for ages.

MelMel said...

I'm not a matching person. one of the reason I disliked working in Nurseries, every dressed the same....in a uniform...eekkkk! horror!

I love the shaker...its so cute!xxx

Pink Milk said...

My theory Mrs B, is that life is about conforming. If we don't, we're odd or lacking. However, if we're clever, we'll conform most of the time but throw in the occasional inconsistency or a spontaneous random and that way we maintain some control.

Love the salt cellar! ;-)

Hx

PaperFish! said...

YOU is perfect lady x

Menopausal musing said...

Give me mismatched any day! That flour shaker is a lovely little object.

Little Bear Stories said...

Perfect indeed. Mis-matched wins every time! x

A Thrifty Mrs said...

I don't do matching either.

Loved this post. Your blog manages to combine prettyness and intelligence with impressive charm and piquancy.

Lisa said...

Hurray for singles and one offs!
Lisa x

....cupcakesandbiscuits said...

C'mon Mrs B, share...matching bra and knickers?
Heehee!!
XX

Mrs B said...

Ali!! Not a chance! I am not together!! X
lovely comments my mismatching buddies! It's like a little bit of chaos...foxes in the hen house of mundanity!!?! X

maggie said...

Your poor mother finds solace in matching and tidy.......glad you missed that bug tho' you will be much happier without it xxx

mairibeans said...

te he glad your enjoying it.... much love from your big little sis xx

Mrs M said...

Love the salt cellar and flour shaker, great finds!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...