Monday, 2 November 2009

My Very Voracious, Vivacious Vintage Vice!

I have very few vices....but MrB is wont to say that I have an addictive personality and therefore only allowed to play the 2p slotties, by the seaside, beside the sea! I disagree! I am not addicitve, I am passionate. If I like something then I LIKE it! Another word used is obsessive....no no no, I just like to find new things to really like, a new favourite thing!

And vintage is one such favourite thing. This little girl...tacky? A wee bit, but I think she looks at home nestled next to the vintage green larder and sweetie jar. She was meant to live with us! Master B adores her and has named her Hyacinth (after the big, squashy, blue flowers he loves in a neighbours garden!) Would he be so in love with something pristine, shiny, new, brighter? No that would truly be tacky. Hyacinth's beauty (tackiness) has become muted, gentle, owned.

Frayed (my Mum, will be tearing her hair out) is comfy, softened, but proud.
Don't even start me on the Vintage crockery obsession.....I mean "LOVE" affair! I cannot turn away from a lovely saucer, especially if it is alone, individual, a singular beautiful object.
There is nothing more satisfying than finding a Vintage dress, zipping it up, finding you fit it (as it has to be this way round....the dress was here before you!) and smiling a contented smile. Why is this? There are plenty of mock vintage dresses out there, sized and all! Of course I love the find, the idea that it is a complete one off but more so that it has history, who made it, who wore it, and where, would they ever have imagined I would be wearing it.....would we have been friends?

Muted colour, glow of a pearl...
Tea and prettiness, drink it in.

Vintage Kitchenalia, is I have to admit bordering on 'obsession' but it is useful, it is as applicable today as it was fifty, sixty, a hundred years ago. I am glad I can use it everyday, it brings a smile to my face! It makes my kitchen my favourite place to be.

Now, I believe shopping with someone, is like dancing, you can only do it well, glide, when you love the person your doing it with. Ms Fish and I shop well! It was the eagle eyed Ms who spotted the above...a dress I have dreamt of! "I have found the dress that was made for you MrsB" she declared. And I glanced over, hmmmmmmmm......."oh heavens" clapped hand over mouth and did a little jig! It needs a good old steam clean but this is my lifetime favourite dress. Nothing beats this one not even the velvet/ tartan party dress I had when I was six which was pretty wonderful! Thankyou my much loved Ms Fish!

You know about this one....he knows what I think...lets not encourage a big head! Suffice to say....just wonderful!
My vintage inspired Woolly Ball Christmas Wreath!

Obsessed....addicted....LOVE!

x

18 comments:

coco rose said...

Oh what a gorgeous set of pics! Thank you for sharing them with us...love the dresses! Have a fab day! xxx

sherry ♥ lee said...

These are delightful photographs...and I am truly enchanted with your woolly ball wreath!! What a splendid idea!

Menopausal musing said...

That, Mrs B, was the most beautifully written and photographed of posts!!! I share your love of vintage kitchen "stuff"...... I have loads of the thick glass ice cream dishes like you show on your shelves......... That dress looks fabulous on you. ;O0

That Crafty Fish! said...

awww, you know how i feel about it all too x just fills me with such satisfaction. THAT dress darling is just perfect.
The wreath - ALL the wreaths... to DIE for, i love it soooo much.xx

LissyLou said...

Great obbsessions Mrs B. That dress is gorgeous - a very happy yellow!!

meplusmolly said...

truly a beautiful 'obsession'! you look tres exquisite in your dress, wreathe is gorgeous!

dottydaisies said...

what a lovely dress x and your woolly ball wreath is definitely a woolly feast for the eye !!!

KL said...

Loving your kitchenalia collection. Pressed glass is also a favourite of mine!

TheMadHouse said...

I adore your Vintage Kitchenalia. How wonderful to have open shelves so everyone can see it.

Rhiannon said...

How lovely (and that dress is to die for!)
I'm very much a fan of vintage style, but given the Lovely's reluctance towards it, we have a somewhat ...restrained... collection in our house!

Menopausal musing said...

Mrs B: My comment was SUPPOSED to end like this: "That dress looks fabulous on you :O)". It was SUPPOSED to look like a smiley face, NOT like some sex doll winking................(just thought I'd clear that one up.......... :O) )

Mrs B said...

Cathy-that is hilarious!! I did actually notice and thought maybe it was an 'oooooooooooooo' face!! hee hee!

You are all lovely......I could shop with you all, I am sure!

xxx

juanitatortilla said...

I am SO in love with all the colours of these vintage items. You have great taste!!!

That Crafty Fish! said...

she HAS got great taste.

Mrs B said...

Arrrrrrrrrrrrr but you see we all share the same vintage love, taste, NEED......ergo.....

you all have great taste!

x

Pomona said...

Heavenly dresses - just perfect for you! And I love your comment about the previous life of such artefacts - it is just the way that I think.

Pomona x

Lisa said...

Beautiful post, your dresses and gorgeous. When I worked in retail years ago I worked for Wedgwood where I got to indulge my passion for pretty china, much cheaper sticking to thrifting now!
Lisa x

Joy said...

I LOVE your finds! Thift stores are such fun, and your vintage dresses look great on you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...