Tuesday, 13 October 2009

Make Do and Mend....x

I love this little saucer. I found a pair of them at the bottom of a box of china at my fabulous local charity shop, for 10p! 10p!

They make me think of golden era films, of white christmas, of rosy cheeks and hot chocolate!

In short I cried when on Sunday, it slipped off my knee, while I was drinking my morning coffee (and talking....hence accident!). I actually couldn't bear to look and made Mr B do it instead. But of course he had to report that my beloved saucer was D.O.A.

Sob!So I am going to super glue it! Mend it! What a revelation! It doesn't have to go in the bin, leaving me behind. It can be glued, be a bit wobbly, not perfect. Isn't it strange and saddening that at some point people stopped doing this, they simply threw out and replaced? How many much loved things were resigned to room B.1.N?Do you have a beloved object that has been mended and lived to a grand old age?

x

13 comments:

LissyLou said...

awww no!!!!
it is lovely - reminds me of the scene where they sing 'snow' in White Christmas!!

I hope it glues back well. I've tried to glue somethings and they have worked out well....others, not so much.
x

myvintageparty said...

Oh no! Hope you can fix it! It's lovely, really christmassy!
Laura x

Dolly said...

boo hoo! I would hand the other one on the wall to keep it safe(er) from accidents!

did you make the peg doll in your blog banner? I found a really similar one in a charity shop last week!

MelMel said...

oohhh...the poor pretty plate.....very lovely winter designs....

I did have some lovely old glasses, but I'm so bad at looking after glass, never careful, so all smashed now.....ho hum...plastic beakers for me....imagine me in H.Bucket's house.....:>))(keeping up appearences)

:>)))
x

That Crafty Fish! said...

i feel this way about my heart... x i fear superglue might fail me one day!

Mrs B said...

Lissy- I adore that bit!! I could watch that film a kerbillion times and not get bored or sing all the songs with gusto!

Laura- its lovely to meet you!

Dolly- I did make her, I popped over to your blog, its lovely!

MsFish - I luffs you x

maggie said...

I do have an old object thats been mended ,he`s called your dad.xx

Mrs B said...

grooooooan!! I was wondering how long it would take for a comment like that one....I was expecting it from another camp tho!?!?!? ; ) x

Elise said...

sooo lovely - thanks !

Menopausal musing said...

Oh Mrs B........ my heart goes out to you. I had just published a post about a similar incident and thought I would wander over to your place. I still have my breakage on the table and want to "do" something with it, but don't know what. :O(

LissyLou said...

Theres an award for you on my blog.....and a giveaway!! xx

Devon said...

oh super glue is great invention! always have it on hand. just had to fix my handbag with it the other day as the handle had broken. always end up glueing fingers together tho and have a moment of panic before they become unstuck. plates are gorgeous, you have such a good eye! xx

Lisa said...

Hi, I have just found your blog and fab it is too!
Hope the plate fixed up ok. The design reminded me of those little mini trees that sit on top of Christmas cakes, so cute.
Lisa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...