Wednesday, 15 July 2009

I love.....

...this picture!

It has hung pretty much my whole life in which ever house, my family hung our hats! I just relish every tiny detail in it.


Look at that little fella, with his tiny, wee spoon? Just perfect!

It brings back myriad memories. My great grandmother, Mary Minty (what a story book name?) gave me her, then old, copy of Hans Christen Anderson's Fairy Tales, when I must have been no older than six. Isn't it true that what you read as a child forms who you will be as an adult?

My favourite of all of them is The Little Red Dancing Shoes. It is absolutely gruesome, but I remember my Dad reading it to me and in no way being plagued with nightmares....indeed I seem to have got completely the wrong end of the moral and just longed for red dancing shoes (a yearning that followed me into adulthood, when on meeting my now husband, was bought my first pair of red dancing shoes, to Salsa in!!)


It has now come to hang, in the house, that my family hangs their hats! We have already spotted the naked emperor and the little red dancing shoes, the snail and the swans!

Arrrrrrrrrrrrr 'Life has its ups and downs. Life has its ins and outs. Life has its.....tangles.'
(an amazing line from an Allen Allberg children's book Clara the Climber!)


P.S. I think if you right click the picture you can enlarge it! I hope you love it as much as me!

8 comments:

Pomona said...

That picture certainly tells a thousand tales - a real imaginative vision! And what is it about red shoes that are so tempting and evocative?!

Pomona x

maggie said...

red dancing shoes my favourite story that set me on the road to shoe heaven! Have even rea it to the boys in my class!x

Menopausal musing said...

What a lovely picture. I clicked on it and spent quite a while travelling round it with my eyes. I love the way one tale merges into another and now I am going to have to go downstairs and find a book of mine that has similar illustrations because I cant remember which tale had a goosedown quilt and snow....... x

Mother Hen, Funky Chicken said...

I can't believe it! I also have such strong emotions attached to that exact picture. My Grandparents have had it in their house for as long as I remember and I LOVE it. It is the one thing I want to inherit :O)

Lou xxxx

Mrs B said...

nooooooooo!! that is amazing!! it is such a childhood treasure!! the little B loves it so much already! x

That Crafty Fish! said...

j'adore... might steal it....

UsGirls said...

If you are in my house, I am happy to take that risk!! x

Rhiannon said...

:O The Red Shoes!

I saw the film of that story a few years ago and at one and the same time love it and am incredibly scared by it!

xxx
ps. can you tell how long it is since i had the innerwebs? :P

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...