Wednesday, 10 June 2009

Decadent Dometic Days

Due in part to the filthy British weather we are having today and partly due to the fact a whole new, nightmarish batch of marking is arriving at any minute, I am having a day of domestic decadence!

A white load of washing, including some salvaged Broderie Anglais

A heeeeeeew-gggggge batch of biscotti (almond, cranberry and dark chocolate)

Crafting new pillow cases

And baking ginger bread family members (this is me and my gingerbread offspring!)

with these two messy, mucky, mischevious monkeymoos!


The Best Gingerbread Recipe To Make with Mini Folk (in Mrs B's opinion!)

INGREDIENTS
350g / 12oz plain flour

175g / 6oz light soft brown sugar

100g / 4oz butter

1 medium egg

4 tablespoons of golden syrup

1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda

½ teaspoon of ground ginger

Dump all dry ingredients in a bowl, sling butter in and rub between fingers till all looks bread crumby (this is such a therapeutic thing to do and my nearly three year old now has it down to a fine art! Love it). Add your egg and golden syrup (commence gooey words and noises!). Mix till starting to hold together as a ball and then get those hands stuck in (literally). When you have a smooth ball and sticky hands, wrap it in cling film, foil...whatever and put in the fridge for at least half an hour. This makes it much easier to cut out and less likely to adhere to your dining room table with the strength of No Nails! On a flour dusted surface roll out your dough and begin cutting shennanigans! In our case big and small gingerbread men (of known identities!! If you have been to stay at Chez B, you were in the gingerbread line up! MissFish was requested to stand next to MasterB in the cooking process!!) This bakes to a smoother finish if you roll out quite thin (0.5cm?) But...you know...whatever! Its all good fun!

Bake till golden (this only takes 15 to 20 minutes), take off tray and leave to cool, don't worry if still bendy they will crisp up as they cool!

Whats your domestic decadence?!]

12 comments:

LissyLou said...

ooooh you have been busy!
I like to have a great big chuck out on days like that and just sort and tidy through drawers and things. It makes me feel so good when i've decluttered abit. What amazes me is how i can keep finding things to get rid of! i guess i don't do it often enough x

bex said...

mines probably the baking....but shhhh....sometimes i let the floor under my sewing table get really messy and then hoover it...hoovering up big mess is great fo me...is that weird??

Rhiannon said...

What a wonderfully decadent day :)
When I have one of those, I like to bake cake, wash up all of my glasses that have accumalated over time and declutter the living room. So domesticy but so worth it once in a while!

x

Menopausal musing said...

Put the toaster on, toast a teacake, slather it with butter, eat and enjoy. Sigh, look round the kitchen, decide it is all too much, put the toaster on, toast a teacake....... are you getting the picture? x

MelMel said...

Wow Mrs B...that all looks a utterly blissful day...oh and what a super pretty chair!xxx

Mrs B said...

yuuuummmmmmmmmmm........mmmmmmm....teacakes! Cleaning, apart from white loads of washing evade me too!! Particularly hoovering the stairs, hate it hate it hate it!

Love clean sparkly glasses!

arrrrrrrrr the chair! It is much loved, lumpy, badly reupholstered by myself when 8 months pregnant! I had missed a Cath Kidston covered nursing chair on ebay, in the last seconds and was so upset with the mystery bidder and very hormonal that I bought an ugly, mustard affair for £15 that very minute on said ebay and covered it myself!!! (with curtain fabric!) Slapdash is my middle name! But I love it! xxxx Hows the job coming on?

That Crafty Fish! said...

just coming round to yours.....

Mrs B said...

oooooooooooooohhhhhhhhh I wish so much!!! xxxx

meplusmolly said...

I've just visually feasted on all the glorious edible goodies! (as normal *sigh*)
Bless you and your chair story ;0
I am putting one of your gorgeous tea cups on my 'want!' list ;0 x

Mrs B said...

Kirsty youre so yummy! And not just because you like my teacups!! I adore them and use about three according to mood! So kitsch! But then is it bad manners to like your own 'makes'?! x

lisa stubbs said...

Ah domestic bliss at it's best!! you can't beat a bit of ginger bread making!! you're a domestic goddess!

designrocks said...

Hello my little domestic busy bee! Drag yourself away from those bikkies whilst I remind you it's the 3rd Sat of the month so it's the crafters meet up in the design centre 10.30, usual spot with a fat muffin hot from the oven!

Hope you can make it!

Cherylx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...