Friday, 1 May 2009

May Day

'But I must gather knots of flowers,
And buds and garlands gay,
For I'm to be Queen o' the May, mother,
I'm to be Queen o' the May.'
- Alfred Lord Tennyson

Ever since I was 10 I have loved the phrase May Day. My sister was a Maypole dancer that year and I can still remember sitting on warm tarmac, watching them in wonder. Old fashioned costumes, ribbons, mystery routines to make the patterns on the pole and how eventually they would unravel the whole thing again without ending up in a big knot!

It brings back memories of blossom, dressing up and playing out, hankering after being the May Queen, which never happened obviously!), the smell of the playing fields being mowed, building mazes with the dried out piles of grass and riding around on our bikes, side saddle pretending we were witches on broomsticks (we all read The Worst Witch that summer!)
It has the same effect on me that New Years has, this sense that something has ended and a new promising beginning is on its way (ie Summer, Summer, Summer!).
I am like a child over Summer (note I always capitalize it, it is that important, tee hee!) I yearn for warmth, freckles,
bbqs with friends, strawberries

cold, cold white wine,

holiday dreaming

and long evenings made for talking!

Bring it on




13 comments:

meplusmolly said...

Love your posts, thoughts and insights. You have a fab slant on life! I'm a may child ;0 x

Mollimoo said...

I really love Summer too! What I love about May is that you have a whole Summer ahead. I don't remember winter as a child x

KirstyFish said...

yeh baby - pour a glass for me and i will be over for a long talky evening...

Mrs B said...

yipeeeeeeee kirsty 2!! Mollimoo!! You're so right, summer all ahead of us! Who could help but be excited about all the doings to come!!?! xx

Mrs B said...

yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!! oh I am all about the yipeeeeees today!! so can't wait! KFish! I have a bottle waiting for our talkings!! xx

Menopausal musing said...

My boy is a bank holiday Monday baby. . :O) x

Rhiannon said...

Its all about maypole dancing. I remember how much it sucked when I went to big-girl school and they didn't do it anymore :(

I vote for some kind of revamp of the maypole dance, using some sort of ...yeah, I lost where I was going with that!

Enjoy the wine (yum yum yum!)
xxx

meplusmolly said...

oops forgot to say I also did maypole dancing when I was small at our primary school! ;0 x

Bobo Bun said...

Lovely moment of daydreaming and yearning for the next bit now it's finally May. I forgot to say Rabbits, rabbits, rabbits this morning with the girls. Don't know what it means, but my Dad always said it on the first of the month and I like it.

Lisa x

Mrs B said...

oh Bobo my husband and I have just gone through that on facebook, he forgot to say 'pinch punch first of the month, no returns', this morning. I say 'a slap and a kick for being so quick' but as a friend commented he did say no returns sooooooooo I suppose my violence is disqualified!! Agressive way to start the month I know, but regardless it happens every first of the month!! rabbits, rabbits, rabbits is so much sweeter! x

Mrs B said...

Cathy what a way to spend your bank holiday?!!! x

thriftymrs said...

Have a happy May Day holiday!

Mrs B said...

Thrifty I miss your blog, please can I read it? x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...