Saturday, 18 April 2009

Artist or Crafter?


Artist:
1. One, such as a painter, sculptor, or writer, who is able by virtue of imagination and talent or skill to create works of aesthetic value, especially in the fine arts.
2. A person whose work shows exceptional creative ability or skill: You are an artist in the kitchen.
3. One, such as an actor or singer, who works in the performing arts.

Art:
1. the quality, production, expression, or realm, according to aesthetic principles, of what is beautiful, appealing, or of more than ordinary significance.
2. the class of objects subject to aesthetic criteria; works of art collectively, as paintings, sculptures, or drawings: a museum of art; an art collection.
3. a field, genre, or category of art: Dance is an art.
4. the fine arts collectively, often excluding architecture: art and architecture.
5. any field using the skills or techniques of art: advertising art; industrial art.
6. (in printed matter) illustrative or decorative material: Is there any art with the copy for this story?
7. the principles or methods governing any craft or branch of learning: the art of baking; the art of selling.
8. the craft or trade using these principles or methods.
9. skill in conducting any human activity: a master at the art of conversation.
10. a branch of learning or university study, esp. one of the fine arts or the humanities, as music, philosophy, or literature.

Crafter:
a creator of great skill in the manual arts; "the jewelry was made by internationally famous craftsmen" [syn: craftsman]

Craft:
An occupation or trade requiring manual dexterity or skilled artistry.
To make by hand.

I found myself pondering this today as I mooched enjoyably around Manchester's Craft Centre, waiting for the lovely ladies from the Made in Manchester group, of which I am now a newbie member (is it strange that I always feel like I am a big 'pretender', like a child earwigging?). Thankyou, lovely Cheryl of DesignRocks


It doesn't matter where you sit, stand or look there is creativity abound and I found myself, without truly realising it, separating the works and people about me into these two 'smarties' piles.

This is art, this is craft, she's an artist, I'm a crafter. Interestingly jewellery in my unconscious, bumbling thinking is art, while embroidery is craft, photography is art, printing is craft. There are a billion holes in my thinking....and indeed this post....what do you think?

14 comments:

KirstyFish said...

Ummmmm, I am a 'crafter'.
I am more interested in the process of making something than actually how it looks / what it says... i am interested in the ART of MAKING a SOMETHING and i *think* that makes me a CRAFTER x (or a wanker) X

Menopausal musing said...

I had my answer all stitched up in my head, then I read Kirsty's comment, burst out laughing, and it's gone....... She is soooo funny!. I do feel, however, that it is a great shame there is such snobbery re art v craft. Both are such an addition to our lives and I thank God we have them to enjoy. That's my bit of deep thinking for the day.. Time to get the washing machin on... :O) x

meplusmolly said...

I'm dipping a big toe in both pools of creativeness........ I hope ;0 x

Rhiannon said...

i think i'm a crafter because I'm not good enough to be an artist BUT craft is becoming recognised as art (such as rob ryan's papercuts and the woman who did extreme knitting)

[yay for having answered a similar question to this on a recent job application!]

although i think KirstyFish's answer is better than mine, as it made me laugh and think of the lovely's opinion of the whole thing!
xxx

Mrs B said...

ahhhhhhh exactly how I was feeling at the time Rhiannon! but from the great answers and a natter with fellow crafty folk, I feel, as missfish puts so well, craft is the process too! Keeping in touch with that makes the whole thing enjoyable and.....real? xxx thankyou, lovely all, for following my ramblings and puttting your far more succinct thoughts into words! x

Devon said...

haha love the comments. i think it kind of chicken or egg question. you can't have one without the other. i feel like im a "pretender" too, you know like being a "grown up"...

KirstyFish said...

You've started something now!
None of us are pretenders... doing is DOING it ain't 'pretending' to do is it? XXX

nicki said...

bloody hell....i think I'm a wanker actually....i'm horrified that Kirsty made me realise (or maybe i should thank her.......)??
Or am i a 'maker'?
Or 'artist-maker'?

yup....it does all get a bit snobby really...shame....lets just get on and do it.
oh.
kirsty said that too. Hmmm....she's a bit of a guru isn't she?

and anyway....today i'm a procrastinator!
Nicki x

designrocks said...

I think we need more categories. T'was in ye olden days that things were so simple. What about crafters on computers and using gadgets as well as painting??

God knows what I am - a crafty designer is what i call meself but I could be wrong!

Bobo Bun said...

I don't think I have enough time in the day to be a wanker, that needs a lot of navel gazing moments. Guess I'm a maker like Nicki said as I make allsorts of things including mess. Better go and tidy up.

Lisa x

Mrs B said...

good Lord, I have no navel gazing moments with two small people about, it was more of a pondering really...x

Bobo Bun said...

Mrs B you misunderstood me. I was laughing at those who stroke their chin, think, chat and never do anything, certainly not you. I'd be a complete idiot if I couldn't see what you like the rest of us with kids achieve. I enjoyed reading what you said as I've often wondered the same stuff.

Mrs B said...

oh thank goodness!!! I was thinking maybe I was being the 'word' for this post....wanker!! sometimes you're not sure how you come across in Blogland! Your lovely for taking the time to comment again!

well I am all about the process at the minute, being a crafter and trying to keep applying the art of homemaking around me! as well as trying v v v v hard not to be a wanker!

xxxxxx

Kitschen Pink said...

I think there is snobbery in the distinction and the distinction draws from a time when manual labour, making useful items, or any women's works were undervalued if not devalued.
I think we ignore the outdated distinctions and get on with being creative individuals. I'm off to create some artistry in the kitchen - you can call it lunchboxes if you wish! :-) t.x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...