Monday, 30 March 2009

When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie...

thaaaaaaaaaats amore!

I know of one golden rule for keeping a man happy! One that I feel happy passing on to you as well as my daughter!

Make pizza!

Its a magical process, believe me! At once I fancy myself all Sophia Loren like, kneading dough, fluttering my doe likes and speaking Italian! It takes less time then it takes to make a cup of tea and looks like you've slavishly been cooking all afternoon! It can be topped in any number of permutations, so all members of the family are happy! And even when pizza is bad it is good!

250g/9oz plain flour

1 heaped teaspoon (1/2 sachet) easy-blend dried yeast, or 3 tablespoons fresh yeast

1/2 teaspoon salt

Approximately 150ml/5fl oz warm water

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

Sling it in, stir it about till it comes together in a 'scraggy' dough, (as described by the lady herself....Nigellllllllla!)

Now this part, I have found, is the key. It says to knead for five minutes....time it! I always think, oh thats been five minutes, easy. Everytime it is almost exactly two. Don't ask, shocking sense of time!

But if you do knead for the exact magical five minutes something magical does indeed happen. The dough just becomes gorgeous! Truly, I can't even begin to type my waxing lyricals about this process, it goes from being 'scraggy' and sticky to this yummcious, stretchy, springy entity, that you can almost imagine is going to say 'boiiiiiiiiing' at any moment! (I am known for wild flights of fancy....apologies x But it is all the same true!)


Again, I have learnt, when it says put in a well oiled bowl, it means it. If you don't the dough, dries on top and sticks to the bottom, and you end up with weird crusty bits in your dough!


Then I put it wrapped in tin foil in the oven that has been on a low heat and switched off.

Cup of tea time, knitting, tidying, playing with babies, writing treaties, solving credit crunch.....lalalalala x


Give it an hour to rise, then punch it! Literally one swift blow, again, immensely satisfying (what is not to love about this process?). The dough will deflate, arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Knead for a couple of minutes, nothing important, just to bring it together. Then I stretch it, mould it, push it flat on to a baking tray. Cook at 180 C for 10 minutes, till base sounds hollow when tapped.

Then all the fun of toppings! Whatever your flight of wild fancy! With tomatoes, without; with garlic butter, without; with mozzarella, without!! Whatever is in your cupboard, fridge, larder and garden is what I say!

Be happy men! A lady who can make pizza, run the world and look lovely! x

(As always this publication retains its tongue in cheek status! Read at your peril!)

11 comments:

Rhiannon said...

huzzah for pizza!
will have to give this one a try next time my lovely is around - you've never seen one man eat so much pizza!
xxx

MelMel said...

What a super pizza post!
My fave food....yummy!
enjoy!xxx

nickynackynoo said...

Love your style of recipe writing! The start of a whole series maybe?

Mrs B said...

Rhiannon - tell me about it! My husband is boderline obssessed about this food stuff.

In the words of Homer- 'pizza meets the requirements of the five major food groups, it even counts as a pie!"

Mel - try it!! it is truly easy, v v v cheap and so much better then shop bought!

Nicky - I am irreverent aren't I!??!!

thriftymrs said...

Delish!
We had HM pizza last night and leftovers for lunch today. It's my fave

Sarah said...

How great - I love cooking and always trying to think of different thits for meal times so will try that - thanks!

Devon said...

you do make me laugh!!! haven't made pizza in ages. but going to have make some now!yum yum, and it's still on the can eat list! yippee.
love D xxxx

Mrs B said...

no way!! And you love your food, what is the
off limits food list?! x

Devon said...

mostly anything that has made a secound apperance after dinner. not a lot of stuff stays down at the moment! but will hopefully be over soon! going for first ultrasound tomorrow! so excited about seeing the little sproglet!!!
can't wait to see you. will send an e-mail soon of travel plans. xxx

Mother Hen, Funky Chicken said...

I love this post Toni. It made me want to throw caution to the wind and jump on the next bus home put on my apron and start baking Pizza dough!

Mrs B said...

Loulou!! thankyou lovely girl! its so nice you stop by!! Make pizza! It is such a lovely homey thing to do! love it! xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...