Monday, 30 March 2009

The Proof is in the Pie

In my opinion this is the best recipe for tomato sauce ever!! It is Tessa Kiros' recipe, to be found in her, just beautiful, recipe book, Apples for Jam.


This fantabulous book has become somewhat of a family scrap book in our house: photos are pushed in between its leaves;



our own recipes which fit its colour coded chapters, are written on bits of paper and squirreled away;

the banners to welcome home both my babies are in there,


as are early family shopping lists I made when a new mummy! It is 'a keeper' (as my husband is wont to say!)
Many of its wonderfully simple, real life, delicious recipes have become firm family favourites. Its sausage goulash is soul satisfying and a one pot wonder!


Her apple bread to me is autumn, in all its cinnamony glory! I just see both of my children, in years to come, woofing down a slice after first days back at school after summer holidays!

But on with the tomato sauce! Generally the Italians have just a few chopped tomatoes on their pizza (as does the Domestic Goddess herself....Nigella!) however I am more with the New Yorkers and feel a good tomato-y sauce can be the real deal breaker when it comes to pizza glory. This makes the perfect pizza sauce!

2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 clove of garlic, peeled but left whole.
400g of tinned diced tomatoes
about 4 basil leaves, torn

"If you prefer a totally smooth sauce quickly blend tomatoes with a handheld blender.

Put the garlic and oil in a saucepan over a medium heat. When you can smell the garlic it has flavoured the oil, add the tomatoes. Add a good pinch of salt and pepper and bring to the boil. Lower the heat and cook uncovered for about 15 to 20 mins, until the tomatoes have all merged with the oil in the sauce. Add the basil."

Perfect, thick tomato richness!

The Topping...

The Eating...


The Happi-0-Meter...



A job well done!

12 comments:

Devon said...

oh yum! love this cook book and recipe as well! what a cute little family!!! and am jealous of the wine, didn't think i would miss it but i really do! love you and everything you do! D xxx

Mrs B said...

arrrrrrrrrrr I miss you! Am soooooo excited about seeing you! x

Menopausal musing said...

What a yummy mummy you are! x

meplusmolly said...

My Mum has this book, but has kept it as a 'coffee table' book, aarrrrghhhhh!!!! so frustrating, I keep saying there are many delish recipes to try out in there and you've just proved my point! maybe I will still away with it when I next visit..........mwahahahaha ;0 x

Mrs B said...

dooooooooooooo!!! I cannot urge you enough!! if the tomato sauce is not enough to convince you then let me tell you the honey cake is to die for!! xxxx

Rhiannon said...

How fab that the book has become so much more - I've seen it around various places, but starting to think that I really need to buy it now - especially seeing how happy the faces are after eating from it!

xxx

thriftymrs said...

Oooh tasty yum!
Aren't you and your family utterly beautiful?!

MelMel said...

That looks SO yum scrum!

Pizza is def my fave!
Ooohhh i'm so starving now....must find more food to eat!

xxx

meplusmolly said...

oops I meant steal not still! duh! ;0 x

Pam said...

Mmmm....yumm! Think I might have to make me some pizza for dinner tonight now! :))

KirstyFish said...

look at JonBoy Walton all fit and beardy and handsome in this post! Miaoow tiger.

Mrs B said...

easy tiger!! its the pizza, you see!! x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...